1843 Good Friday - the
Madras set sail from Portsmouth for the Province of South Australia.
1843September 12 - Henry & Sarah Evans & four year old son, Henry Angas, disembarked at Port Adelaide with Sarah's younger brother, John Howard Angas. The new arrivals removed to the district of Barossa and to the seven Special Surveys owned by Sarah & John's father, George Fife Angas. Settling into
Valley House on the
near the Gawler River (now North Para River), John, having been trained in surveying skills and the rudiments of the German language, proceeded to 'learn the ropes' to oversee his father's landed interests.
1843November 3 - On behalf of the Angas family, Sarah laid the foundation stone for the Union Chapel at Angaston with Henry delivering the official address. The construction of this interdenomin-ational chapel enabled numerous settlers and their families of varying Protestant faiths to worship in a church building, manyfor the first time since arriving in the colony.
1844 South Australia Directory listed Henry Evans as gentleman & stockholder owning a significant sheep flock at Flaxman Valley - managed by his brother-in-law. In the colony at that time there being few stockholders with greater sheep numbers, opportunities abounded for Henry and he soon leased Crown Lands for pastoral-runs east of the North Rhine River.
1846 Henry planted grape vines at
Tarrawatta that inspired the gardener who tended them - Samuel Smith, founder of
Yalumba. 1847-48 Oversaw the design & construction of
Lindsay House for the anticipated visit of his parents-in-law and in which Henry and his little family temporarily resided.
1849 Invested in the North Rhine Mine when copper was discovered.
1850 March - Purchased five eighty-acre sections from his father-in-law, George Fife Angas, to the east of Angaston in the Hundred of North Rhine.
1850 July 2 - The Evans family removed from
Lindsay Houseto their newly built homestead of
Evandale on the recently acquired land. 1850-1853Henry, a manufacturing chemist by profession, realised soon enough there was more glamour than gold as a pastoralist. Orchards, nursery & vineyards were planned & planted at Evandale for the commercial production of fruit & wine.Vines progress slowly and only small quantities of wine were produced from primarily Frontignac grapes, plus Tokay & Early Portugal varieties.
1857 Seven acres of vineyard
produced 85 hogs-
heads of wine sold at 6/- a gallon representing a return of
260 pounds (sterling) per acre.
1857June 24 - John Howard Angas wrote his father that brother-in-law Henry's wine cellar
with three floors and thick walls cost
5/9 per yard.
1858 Henry made plans for the planting of 200,000 additional vines to
meet supply demands, ultimately expanding the vineyard from over twenty acres (8Ha) that yielded twelve thousand gallons (54,000 litres). Total acreage under fruit production would reach 100 acres (40Ha).
1859 The nursery became commercially viable supplying not only Evandale's expansion, but settlers
from near and far. J Frederick Wood was
engaged as Nursery Manager.
Advertising South Australian Register 20 July
FRUIT TREES, VINES, SHRUBS, &c.,
&c.-EVANDALE NURSERIES, near Angaston.
-The usual excellent
Assortment of Fruit Trees, the best Wine and Table Grapes, Shrubs, and
Ornamental Trees, in great variety, are now on Sale at very reasonable prices.
Agents- Adelaide, Mr. Thomas Hawken, fruiterer, Hindley-street; Gawler Town,
Mr. Lane. Mr. S. Keightley, of Penrice, will attend at Jenning's Hotel,
Kapunda, every Saturday through the season.
Note.- The Evandale Nurseries are seven miles from, Angaston, North Rhine. Letters addressed to J. F. Wood, at the Nurseries,
will have immediate attention, few descriptive priced Catalogues may be had on
VINES, VINE-CUTTINGS, FRUIT TREES, &c,&c. EVANDALE NURSERIES, near ANGASTON, South Australia.
10,000 very fine Fruit-Trees, of the best sorts;
10,000 Ornamental Trees, Shrubs, and Roses; and a few hundred thousand Vines - will be sold at
very reduced prices.
Parties dealing in trees will be liberally dealt
with; but the establishment, in order to avoid mistakes, will have no
accredited agents this season.
J. F. WOOD, F.H.S., requests that his customers and
intending purchasers will address their orders to him at the Nurseries as
P.S.-Vine Cuttings of the best Wine and Table
Grapes in any quantity. Priced Catalogues for 1860 may be had on application.
The Nurseries are seven miles from Angaston, on a good road. Parcels of Trees
will be delivered free at the nearest railway, and plants added to help defray
1860 To improve yield & quality the distance between
vines was increased to eight feet by five (2.4m x 1.5m) with the pulling up of every alternate vine. Future plantings were eight by eight
feet (2.4m x 2.4m) further increasing yields and volume.
Vineyard expansion was continual & the production facilities were increased as a consequence. Believed to have been the
biggest winery in the colony at that time, the main building 154ft long by 44ft
wide (47m x 13.5m), the walls constructed of stone & the roof double straw
1862 January 21 - An extensive fire in the
main winery destroyed the building & contents including two stone casks &
fifteen hogsheads of wine. Fortuitously the bulk of the winestock was held in an adjoining building which was not damaged.
winery was rebuilt & new equipment installed for the 1862 vintage of Shiraz, Pineau, Black Portual, Muscat of
Alexandria, Espanoir (Mataro), Frontignac, Riesling, Tokay, Morillon, Verdeillo, Grenache, Carignan, and Malbec.
1862 May 1 - November 1 Regarded as being some of the colony's best, pure Riesling & Espanoir samples from the estate of
Evandale were exhibited as part of the Colonial Exhibit at the Great London Exposition sponsored by the Royal Society of Arts, Manufactures and Trade held over 21 acres in South Kensington. This was the third world's fair where 28,000 exhibitors were featured from 36 countries.
1867 Exhibited at the fourth world's fair, L'Exposition Universelle (d'Art et d'Industrie), Paris.
1868 April 14 - During the inaugural vintage for neighbours Johann Christian Henschke and his son, Paul, Henry Evans - chemist, pastoralist, speculator, entrepreneur, man of piety, horticulturist, viticulturist, & winemaker - died suddenly at
The winery was closed and
winestocks sold, vines either pulled or grafted to currants under the instruction of Henry's heir. This included the conversion of the winery buildings exclusively for the processing
of apples for the already flourishing
Evandale fruit business to which 29-year-old Henry Angas Evans (married with a young family) inherited & prospered.