First born to Marianne & Henry Angas Evans in 1864 was Alfred
the decade was out was soon joined in quick succession by siblings Fred, George, and
Edith.Known by his second Christian name, the
maiden name of his great-grandmother, and carried by his Granny Sarah, young Lindsay
was educated at Glenelg Grammar, a Congregational school established in
Upon schooling completion he returned to
Ivanhoe and commenced a career under his father's tutelage with
Evandale Fruit and Dried Fruits.
It is unclear when his father allocated
land to Lindsay to embark on an enterprise of his own such as stock
grazing, yet throughout his adult life, Lindsay would
consistently describe his occupation in the annual volume of the
Australian Directory as Gardener, thus identifying himself with his foremost
occupation that of managing
Evandale with his brothers.
A devout Christian and committed to the
North Rhine Independent Church, he taught class at Sunday School conducted in the Temperance
Hall. An active member of the North Rhine Band of Hope (temperance organisation), Lindsay
to a great many people by much good work carried out in an unassuming manner.
His temperance beliefs did not prejudice
his courting the daughter of active parishioner and local winemaker, John Heath.
Lindsay and Alice Heath celebrated their nuptials in a
double ceremony (with separate ministers) with brother, Fred and his bride,
another local girl, Annie Jackman.
Evans-Heath.-On the 14th October, at the Independent Church, North Rhine, by the Rev. F. C.
B. Fairey, Alfred Lindsay, eldest son of Henry Angas Evans, of
Keyneton, to Alice, eldest daughter of John Heath, of
Evans-Jackman.-On the 14th October, at the Independent Church, North Rhine, by the Rev. W. O.
Ashton, Frederick Lavington, second son of Henry Angas Evans, of
Keyneton, to Annie, youngest daughter of Joseph Jackman, of
Villa. The Advertiser 27 October
& South Australian Chronicle 31 October
Lindsay and his bride established a home on
Rockville, the name so chosen for Lindsay's portion of
Evandale land, and very
Heathvale, Alice's family property.
Alice made her husband a father of two by 1896; daughter, Irene
(Rene) and son, Henry Lindsay (Harry).
The Evans siblings were close not only in
age but shared interests. Lindsay,
Fred, George and Arthur were all members of a P.S.A. Society (Pleasant Sunday
Afternoons), a branch of which had formed in Angaston. The general emphasis of
P.S.A. programmes was recitations and very musical with many forming choirs with handbell selections.
The Evans brothers' uncle, John Howard Angas (whose
accountant was the inaugural president of the Angaston P.S.A. Society), gifted a set of fifty bells
brought back from England to the local P.S.A. Society and were generally played
in five part harmony.
The brothers were recorded
in 1900 as giving generously to the Society's collection for famine relief in
The brothers Evans (including the
younger, Percy and Maurice) were keen riflemen and formed the core of the
Keyneton Rifle Club. Competitions were either Smallbore or pistol, both
of which Lindsay shot with respectable scores.
Upon Henry Angas Evans' death in 1901,
Lindsay assumed the role of church treasurer previously held by his father. The Independent Chapel was by this time known as the North Rhine Congregational Church.
The sudden death in 1903 of Alfred Lindsay Evans at age 39, was met with immense
regret and sadness.
The Late Mr. A. Lindsay Evans.
North Rhine, November 7.The
residents of the district of North Rhine were shocked on Friday at hearing the
report that Mr. A. Lindsay Evans had been taken suddenly ill, and was not
likely to recover. On making enquiries at his residence at
Rockville it was
found that he had passed away early in the afternoon. During the last few weeks
Mr. Evans had been suffering from slight indisposition, and quite recently
consulted a medical man; no danger, however, was expected. On Friday morning he
went to business as usual, although complaining that he did not feel well.
After lunch he was not well enough to return to
Evandale. An hour later he suddenly
became worse, and passed away before his wife was able to procure any assistance...
Evans, who was in the prime of life, has left a widow and a young family. On
Sunday morning a memorial service was conducted by the Rev. Leonard Robjohns,
B.A., in the Congregational Church, at which testimony was borne to the great
esteem in which Mr. Evans was held by a large circle of friends. Register 10 November
Family Notices The Friends of the late Mr. Alfred Lindsay Evans
are respectfully informed that his
will be Removed from his late Residence,
Rockville, Keyneton, on
Sunday Afternoon, for Internment in the
Keyneton Cemetery. Register7 November
With the support of the Evans and Heath clans, fellow parishioners and the wider district, his widow continued on the land confidently trading stock in her own name.
In due course son Harry took up the mantle at
Rockville of stock grazing & wool production.
Alice was interned 33 years later next to her husband in
the Keyneton Cemetery, bequeathing the
sum of 50 pounds [sterling] to the Keyneton Congregational Church.
March 1904 The renovation of the Congregational
Church at Keyneton, of which the
Rev. Leonard Robjohns is minister, was completed last week by Mr. E. Troy, who
has placed in the east front of the church two beautifully illustrated windows,
the gift of Mr. J. H. Angas of
Collingrove. These windows were presented by Mr.
Angas in memory of the late Mr. Henry Evans, of
the late Mrs. S. Lindsay Evans, who was a sister
of Mr. Angas.
Mrs. H. Angas Evans and the members
of her family have had added to the church a beautiful little porch in memory
of the late Mr. H. Angas Evans and their son,
the late Mr. A. L. Evans, who died
suddenly in November last. The porch is lighted by an effective window by
Messrs. Vosz & Co., of Adelaide.
The subject of the window is the
The church has
been painted and decorated within and without through a fund that was
inaugurated at the harvest thanksgiving service of last year and completed at
the harvest thanksgiving on Sunday last. The gables at the end of the church
and porch have been covered with ornamental large boards, and the general
effect of the whole is very pleasing. Mr. E. H. Plumstead, of Angaston, was the